About Me

Michigan, United States
Mother of four. Wife to a Pastor/Church Planter. Lover of life. Stay-at-home Homeschooling Mom. Loves photography, sewing, quilting and reading.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Snow Snow and Some More Snow


The past week our lives have been largely controlled by the forces of nature
and Oklahoma's lack of
1. snow removal equipment
2. know how regarding the removal of snow
and
3. Oklahomans lack of driving knowledge(when it comes to how to drive on
snow covered roads)




It all started on Monday around 11p.m. I just left my work called J and asked if I should try to stop by the store before coming home and pick up the essential food items. He said I should and I was so extremely happy that I followed his advice. It was around 10:45 when
I went into the grocery store, at that time there was no sign of sleet or snow. The shelves at the store wear almost completely bare. Bottled water was almost sold out. The bread aisle was completely empty(I found some bread on a display elsewhere. Eggs were sold out. Milk was down to a minimum. Canned goods were somewhat depleted. They were out of potatoes, bananas, apples, I guess it's safe to say that they were out of most of their produce. I grabbed what I thought we needed to get us through a couple days. When I left the store around 11p.m. it had started. Sleet, pouring down from the sky. I quickly loaded my two bags of groceries into the car, started the car, brought out the handy scraper to scrap the windshield clear and then carefully drove the 4 miles home. Now in Oklahoma, schools close in anticipation of severe winter storms. All the public schools had closed already. When we awoke Tuesday morning, J's college had closed. We turned on the news which they had been running since 4:30a.m. , it was around 9:30(time for the Early Show but Snowmagedon in Oklahoma is way more important), the snow had created a disaster area. All Tuesday it snowed. Late afternoon they announced that the whole city was at a standstill. Plows were not even plowing anymore because of the hazardous driving conditions. Late Tuesday afternoon the girls and I ventured outside to clear some snow off our porch. Wednesday I let M out to play and she saw a small tractor come plow our condo's parking lot. Wednesday evening we ventured to Walmart. The streets were snow packed, it was quite the bumpy ride. Thursday J went out. Friday it was sunny, the kids and I ventured to a friend's house. It was the first day I would describe our roads as being in "good" driving condition. Public schools were cancelled through Friday and most colleges were cancelled too. Monday J went back to classes but public schools are still cancelled. The mains roads are mostly clear but from what I've heard all the neighborhood streets are still snow or ice packed.

Now to round two!

We are suppose to get hit with more snow tonight. They are prediciting 8-12 inches between tonight and tomorrow afternoon.









No comments:

Post a Comment